Starting the Spanish GP from pole position in front of over 100,000 hostile Spaniards, Webber stormed away as the lights changed, holding off a somewhat tepid attack from his team-mate Sebastian Vettel.
The German slotted in behind Webber with Lewis Hamilton taking third place ahead of Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Michael Schumacher, Felipe Massa and Adrian Sutil.
And, unfortunately, in a race that saw absolutely no on-track overtaking from those at the front, although a fair amount from those at the back, it was left to the one and only round of pit stops to change the order.
Vettel lost out to Hamilton in those stops with the two coming dangerously close to tangling yet again as the latter left the pits while Vettel was making his way down the straight.
But while one McLaren prospered, the other did not as Button lost out to Schumacher - and then spent the next 40-odd laps starring at the Mercedes GP's rear wing, unable to find a way through.
There was a bit of late drama, though, as Vettel was forced to pit on lap 55 for fresh rubber, allowing Alonso through into the final podium position, a very popular result with the Spanish crowd.
However, even later drama saw Hamilton suffer a puncture on the penultimate lap, putting him into the tyre barriers, Alonso up to second and Vettel back on the podium.
01. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1h35:44.101
02. Alonso Ferrari + 24.000
03. Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 51.300
04. Schumacher Mercedes + 1:02.100
05. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 1:03.700
06. Massa Ferrari + 1:05.700
07. Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1:12.900
08. Kubica Renault + 1:13.600
09. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 1 lap
10. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
11. Petrov Renault + 1 lap
12. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
13. Rosberg Mercedes + 1 lap
14. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes + 2 laps
15. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes + 2 laps
16. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth + 2 laps
17. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth + 3 laps
18. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 3 laps
19. Di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth + 4 laps
Did Not Finish
Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 43
Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 28
De la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 19
Senna HRT-Cosworth 1
Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1